Friday, June 25, 2010

Open Letter To No One In Particular

I know break-ups are hard things to deal with. Believe me, I know! And when you know, deep inside, that a large chunk of the fault rests on your shoulders, whether you want to accept this or not, it can make the loss even worse.

But you have to remember that Fatal Attraction is just a movie... only that and nothing more. It is not a guide to getting him back, or getting back at him. (And considering Glenn Close's character dies at the end, it doesn't sound very promising!) And really, when you go to extraordinary lengths to lash out at him, don't you realize you are only making yourself look worse, and anyone who comes after you look better? In not accepting what has happened with grace and dignity, you destroy any chance there ever might have been for a reunion.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be anger and sadness. Those are natural, no matter what. They just go along with the process. When you allow them to manifest themselves in such silver-screen-worthy ways, you are asking for much more than you bargained for. Perhaps not the first time you do this, and perhaps not the second nor third... but at some point you will attempt to wreak havoc in the life of an ex, and said ex will not be nearly as forgiving and understanding as those before.

I hope, if you ever read this, that the next man you have will not become an ex, and that you both are exceedingly happy with each other. I honestly do, because I think everyone should have that. But if the next man does leave you, or you leave him, I hope you remember my cautionary words and heed them.

No comments:

Post a Comment